Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Few Bucks

So on my lunch hour today I’m eating in my car and reading (something I do a lot because I’m an anti social weirdo), and this middle aged couple pull up next to me. The man gets out and comes around to my window which was cracked. He stayed far enough back to not seem threatening and he starts off with “can you do me a favor?”, so of course I know he wants money. Before I could speak, he tells me this long story about why he doesn’t have any money and why he needs it. The first part of the story I really don’t remember because my brain was too busy on alert; thinking the woman may come up to my other window while I’m distracted by him, and bash my head in or something (yes, I watch too much TV). But, as I relaxed and listened, I realized how much his story didn’t add up….and was therefore probably a lie to cover up whatever truth he felt would sound like an unacceptable reason to be panhandling. I finally had to interrupt him and say “I don’t have any money, I’m sorry” (which was actually the truth). He said “okay, thank you” and got back in his car.

This incident got me to thinking about all the times I’ve been approached for money, all the times I felt that the person had hidden reasons for panhandling, and the many times that I would shake my head no and go on my way. Somehow though I always manage to feel guilty later. What really causes people to end up in these situations? Drugs? Alcohol? Lots of poor decisions in life? Does anyone really panhandle because some fluke incident happened, like the one the man was trying to tell me today? It seems like if you are employable, have shelter, and in this man’s case have transportation you would have access to money and resources. Besides that, what would I have given him if I had cash on me, 2 dollars? That wouldn’t get him anything he would need in order to stop panhandling. Then again, should it really be a decision? If I have a few dollars, shouldn’t I just give it to whoever is asking regardless of why I think they need it? As a self-proclaimed Christian, I know that it isn’t okay for me to judge someone else, and I try very hard (most of the time) to fight that natural urge us humans seem to have, and not pass judgment so easily. On one hand I don’t want to enable the crackhead panhandler who wants to use my few bucks to buy a fix, but on the other hand I don’t know for a fact that’s what he’s going to do, and even if he does it might be better then him quitting cold turkey while living on the streets and possibly dying in a ditch. Seriously. I’ve thought about these things.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Remember "Kathy lee Henderson" Outside of Doris Miller who would try to flag me down/aka run me down outside the school because I gave her money ONE TIME! Girl, she was so on drugs (the custodians told me). be careful!