Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11th

Seven years ago today I was awoken by a phone call at about 8:00 in the morning. It was my husband calling from his office to let me know that an airplane had crashed through one of the twin towers in NYC. He said something about it being terrorists and my first words were, “well Bush got his way…we’re going to war”. As we hung up, my alarm radio went off and they were talking about the plane crash. In my sleepy haze, I thought, “this must be really big”. I went into the living room and turned on the television. Between the time my husband hung up with me and I got into the living room, the second plane had hit (if my memory serves me correctly). Every channel was airing it. I couldn’t get away from it. Did I mention my husband was in the Air Force, and that we lived on a military base in west Texas? Or that I was 11 days away from my due date with my first child? DEPRESSING!

The base went into the highest threat-con status, meaning we couldn’t come or go without our car being searched, without routine checks. I had a prenatal visit the next day and for the first time in my pregnancy my husband wasn’t able to accompany me because all personnel were advised not to leave base during the day and in their BDU’s. And I couldn’t get away from it! Every channel was broadcasting up to the minute reports. Not that I don’t think that kind of event deserved that type of media coverage-- it was just soooo hard to watch. I was scared but I was mainly depressed. Who wants to bring a small, innocent, defenseless baby into this world knowing that we are at war? Knowing that although we think our country is safe against terrorists, and that our military is the strongest in the world…someone got through. Someone got through and killed thousands of innocent people with no warning.

At least that’s what we were told……..that we had no warning. WE, as the public, may have not had any warning but I strongly feel that the Bush administration had some knowledge. But, I guess when you’re a….let’s see what did I hear him called recently? Oh yeah….”retarded cowboy”….I guess you wouldn’t understand that as President of the United States maybe you should take heed to such a threat. Anyway, sorry my 9/11 memorial turned into a Bush bashing. But, here we are 7 years later…… I have two children now and for their whole lives our country has been at war. But of course when your billions are invested in oil from the Middle East, then why on earth would you stop the war? But that’s a whole different blog……..

1 comment:

Rose said...

It's so horrible. Just awful. And we still don't have Bin Laden. That just seems crazy to me.