Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Here We Go Again

I’m gonna’ have to talk about my church again. My latest gripe is that they are all seeming a little too judgmental these days. We recently started having bible study on Wednesdays and they have changed the Sunday sermon format to topic sermons rather then bible study sermons. Hallelujah! It’s about time. But after attending 1 Sunday and 2 bible studies since this change, I still find myself wondering……why do I want to attend a church where I don’t even agree with the majority of what comes out of the mouths of our preachers (yes, we have more then one)? I mean, not the Jesus is the son of God, bible verse stuff; but the whole “homosexuality is wrong”, “Catholicism is wrong” (my husband is Catholic by the way...and gay.....just kidding!). Anyway, it’s this superior attitude that comes out during these discussions…I’m sure they’re all well meaning folks, in fact I know they are. I’ve known most of these people my whole life. I just don’t get how they can’t see how judgmental they’re being. I don’t believe that only one church is going to Heaven, if I did I probably wouldn’t have married my husband! I think that you can have opinions without forcing your judgment on others. I also don’t like feeling judged because I don’t attend church on a regular basis. I’m sorry but sometimes in order just to function, I HAVE to lie in the bed past 8:30AM. And most importantly I don’t believe that God intends for us to judge one another so harshly!! Yes, we all do it from time to time, it’s human nature just like many other sins. But preaching judgment to your congregation??!! Come on now, that’s like putting a Kentucky Fried Chicken inside a Gold’s Gym! It’s just WRONG.

4 comments:

Clovis2012 said...

I would actually get a Gold's membership if I could eat a famous bowl afterwards and not have to drive to get it. ;-)

You know, I'm in the same boat with you about church. I'm currently church shopping myself.

Rose said...

Hahaha, KFC in a Golds, funny! But seriously, you have been talking about a new church for 2 years! it's time for a change, my friend.

Anonymous said...

We are so on the same page!! My husband and I constantly struggle with wanting our children to know God, practice Grace, and experience a community feel where others strive to do "good", but we often leave on sunday mornings frustrated with how judgemental Christians can be. I loved your previous post on abortion and I go nuts when people think that all gay people are sinners. I have several gay friends living with a lifetime partner, loving to their family and friends, giving so much to the community, and yet they are always living in fear of a verbal slashing if they bump into the wrong person. I have always said that Christians need to spend a lot more time loving one another, helping one another, and giving of their time and resources...and leaving all of the judgement up to God.

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

My husband and I have not been going to church for the last 8 months for much of the same reasons.
I love God and consider myself to be a Jesus Follower, but have a hard time with the term Christian sometimes. Jesus? would've never done that. He would have walked along side of them and held their hand- not condemn. God is about love, and it is not our job to judge. Crazy that we even have to tell people that in this age. That is why I have a hard time identifying myself as a Christian. Sometimes Christians are so terrible that I don't want to be associated, because others will assume the same of me.
That said, I do know we are all imperfect- I am not saying I am perfect and therefore have this all figured out. Just that it drives me crazy sometimes too.
Go. Leave. You know what you need to do. we'll all pray for you!