Friday, December 17, 2010

Rebirth

“Well, sometimes it's necessary for a rebirth, but you know that.”

.....An innocent email from my sister got me to thinking, Can you ever really be “reborn”? I mean not in the spiritual sense because that’s not even where I’m trying to go with this. But I thought her choice of words was interesting….. “rebirth”.  I mean, sure I know what she means, but is it possible? I mean truly possible to start your life over from scratch? I don’t think so. When we’re born we are innocent, and free from a past. Can that ever happen again? Despite how much we may want to forget, and how much we may choose to leave people and places behind, and how much we try to sell ourselves on the concept of letting go, we never really unshed our past.  It is engrained in us, and as much a part of our identity as our eye color. I guess the best we can hope for is to learn from the past, and accept it as a part of who we have become; embrace rather then let go.  Move forward not to be reborn or start fresh, but to continue on living life with the wisdom & strength that only an undesirable past can bring you.

No comments: